Good nutrition plays an integral role in the prevention, treatment and management of several disease states and at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital we are committed to providing excellent, patient centred nutritional care to our clients.
Motto: “Making a difference through nutrition.”
Staffed by a team of Registered Dieticians, the Food and Nutrition Department provides two (2) services to patients attending the Queen Elizabeth Hospital:
- Clinical Nutrition Services are provided to both In-patients and Out-patients of the QEH. Clinical Nutrition Services include Medical Nutrition Therapy, Nutrition Education and Counseling.
- Food Services are provided to In-patients. This service requires the provision of regular and special diets that are specifically developed with patient-focused medical goals in mind.
Annually the Food and Nutrition Department prepares and serves over 300,000 meals to hospital In-patients.
Hours of Operation
- Clinical Nutrition Services: Mondays – Fridays 8:15 A.M to 4:30 P.M.
- Food Services: Daily 6:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.
- Breakfast: 7:30 A.M. – 9:30 A.M.
- Lunch: 11:30 A.M. –1:30 P.M.
- Dinner: 4:30 P.M. – 6:30 P.M.
In May 2017, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Food Services was awarded the internationally recognized Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) certification.
If you have any food allergies/intolerances or are currently on a prescribed special diet please inform the nurse as soon as you arrive at the hospital.
The department also provides internship programs for dietetic interns. To learn more about this service please contact us at 246-430-9589 or view our Clinical Attachment / Observership page for details.
Be a Volunteer
If you wish to volunteer with us you are welcome to participate in our Mealtime Assistant Programme. For further information please contact the Human Resources Department, Training Development Unit at 246-436-6450, Extension 6401, 6456 or 5371 or visit our Volunteer page.
The Food and Nutrition Department continually strives to improve our service and we encourage you to participate in our in-house patient meal survey. We welcome your feedback.
For additional information on Nutrition in Barbados visit the National Nutrition Centre Website: http://www.health.gov.bb/ministry_health/nutrition_centre.html