The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) is the country’s primary acute care medical facility. The QEH is also an accredited teaching hospital affiliated with the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus.
The institution was opened on November 14, 1964 to address the medical, surgical, clinical and treatment needs of the Caribbean and to serve as a teaching hospital for those seeking a career in the medical profession.
Since its inception, the hospital has expanded its bed capacity from 464 beds to the current 519 beds. Operational plans for the QEH continue to focus on strengthening the delivery of quality health care with strategic direction guided by the 10-year plan for Health and the QEH Care Excellence Programme (CEP).
Our vision is to be the leader among healthcare facilities in the region by delivering healthcare and professional teaching services of the highest quality, while maximizing benefits to all stakeholders.
To be the premier regional institution providing excellent, patient-centred, secondary and tertiary health care services and health professional teaching in Barbados, the Eastern Caribbean and beyond.
Irrupta tenet copula
(An unbroken chain unites us)
As a team, we share a common set of values that enable our patients to expect consistent behaviours from us. In carrying out our duties, we demonstrate:
- Integrity – We act honestly, responsibly, professionally and with fairness and integrity. We encourage views, ideas and constructive criticism by being open and ethical and by building trust.
- Respect – We have respect for each other and for our patients, valuing diversity. We treat everyone with dignity and we respect each person’s right to privacy.
- Compassion – We show compassion by being flexible in the provision of our service by listening, thinking and acting to satisfy the individual needs of our patients. We show understanding by organizing our facilities and services to meet the individual needs of our patients.
- Quality Service – We understand the objectives and strategies in our Hospital and in our departments. We take responsibility for the delivery of high standards in our work areas. We challenge existing practices and look for new ways of doing things that will improve patient care. We share knowledge in order to anticipate needs and find solutions.
- Loyalty – We are loyal to our work because we know that by doing our jobs well, we are improving patient care. We are reliable in the performance of our duties because our patients and colleagues depend on our support.
- Teamwork – We work as a team collaboratively with partners and customers to support our vision. We are a team that is committed to exceeding expectations by striving for best practice, learning from mistakes, retraining, sharing our achievements and enjoying what we do in the satisfaction that we are making a difference to people’s lives.
- To be a Centre of Excellence for the delivery of secondary and tertiary medical care for Barbadians, visitors and persons referred from the region.
- To be a Centre of Excellence for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching of health care disciplines for Barbados and the region.
- To provide equality of health care and respect for the rights of individuals, irrespective of class, colour, creed, religion or sexual orientation.
- To have a continuing evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of all aspects of health care delivery, to reduce wastage and enhance performance.
- To develop a complement of highly motivated employees, dedicated to the principle that the patient comes first in all deliberations and activities.
- To provide, develop and maintain a working environment which is clean, healthy and conducive to team building.
- To commit to the upliftment of health services in the community through the training of personnel, the provision of services and the promotion of positive interaction between health care workers in the community and the hospital.
- To make the best use of modern information technology to enhance and sustain the operations of the hospital.
- To provide access to all available services and timely responses to referring practitioners
- To harness new developments as required in accordance with the strategic direction of the hospital.
- To establish and maintain standards which are internationally acceptable.
- To foster community linkages in the overall development of the hospital.
- To empower all employees in the decision-making process.
- To provide all services in a timely manner.