Motto : Irrupta tenet copula
(An unbroken chain unites us)
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) is the country’s primary acute care medical facility. The QEH is also an accredited teaching hospital affiliated with the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus.
The institution was opened on November 14, 1964 to address the medical, surgical, clinical and treatment needs of the Caribbean and to serve as a teaching hospital for those seeking a career in the medical profession.
Since its inception, the hospital has expanded its bed capacity from 464 beds to the current 519 beds. Operational plans for the QEH continue to focus on strengthening the delivery of quality health care with strategic direction guided by the 10-year plan for Health and the QEH Care Excellence Programme (CEP).
To provide compassionate, professional and effective patient-centered care through the optimal use of our human and capital resources.
To be the premier regional provider of quality health care, utilizing state-of-the-art technology, while being an exemplar of good corporate governance and the first choice of employment for healthcare workers.
Accountability , Efficiency, Teamwork, Service, Integrity
Interdependence, Excellence, Empowerment
- To be a Centre of Excellence for the delivery of secondary and tertiary medical care for Barbadians, visitors and persons referred from the region.
- To be a Centre of Excellence for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching of health care disciplines for Barbados and the region.
- To provide equality of health care and respect for the rights of individuals, irrespective of class, colour, creed, religion or sexual orientation.
- To have a continuing evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of all aspects of health care delivery, to reduce wastage and enhance performance.
- To develop a complement of highly motivated employees, dedicated to the principle that the patient comes first in all deliberations and activities.
- To provide, develop and maintain a working environment which is clean, healthy and conducive to team building.
- To commit to the upliftment of health services in the community through the training of personnel, the provision of services and the promotion of positive interaction between health care workers in the community and the hospital.
- To make the best use of modern information technology to enhance and sustain the operations of the hospital.
- To provide access to all available services and timely responses to referring practitioners
- To harness new developments as required in accordance with the strategic direction of the hospital.
- To establish and maintain standards which are internationally acceptable.
- To foster community linkages in the overall development of the hospital.
- To empower all employees in the decision-making process.
- To provide all services in a timely manner.