The Radiology and Medical Imaging Department offers patients the best in modern imaging, providing radiological examinations of both a basic and highly technical level to public and private patients within Barbados as well as to some private patients in the Eastern Caribbean. The department receives requests/referrals from over 80 units and receives an average of 50,000 requests/referrals per year. The services offered by the department include:
- CT Scan
Preparing for your upcoming radiology appointment
Please follow the general instructions below for any examination:
- You may eat and drink as normal.
- Do not use roll-on/deodorant or powder under the arms or around the breasts.
- Remove ALL braids, rubber bands, beads, decorative pieces, Bobby pins or clips/grips and hair extensions/wigs prior to your appointment.
- Remove ALL jewelry prior to the appointment.
If you’re scheduled for an examination or your abdomen or, a CT/CAT scan requiring intravenous contrast:
- Do not eat or drink anything for at least 5 hours before the time of your examination appointment.
- Please bring 1 litre of water to drink. You will be told when to drink.
- Your doctor should request a blood test for CT examinations requiring intravenous contrast. This should be done well in advance of your scheduled appointment. Ask your doctor about this blood test.
- For a specific test (colonography), you will need to acquire additional preparation material. Your doctor should know and check the preparation notes in the booking system. Ask your doctor to verify your preparation notes. If your doctor has requested this specific test, you will need to visit the Radiology Department, bringing the additional material, three days prior to your appointment.