The Accident and Emergency Department is committed to the provision of quality, timely emergency care, to acutely sick and injured persons; both citizens and visitors alike.
Formerly known as QEH Casualty, the department was transformed in 1990 into the new A&E Department.
The department was pioneered by Dr Irvine Brancker and Dr Van Tyne. It opened with a team of initially 12 junior doctors and 2 consultants. Presently, there are 20 doctors in the department.
As the busiest department in the hospital, they attend to approximately 45,000 patients each year.
Offering patient care en par with some first world countries, Dr Chaynie Williams, the first female head of the department, applauds the skill set of her staff and also notes that the A&E improvement programme has put measures in place to make the visit to A&E a more comfortable one, including the addition of patient advocates, a redesign of the physical space, improvements to staffing compliments, improved outreach and efficiencies plus a concerted, ongoing effort to reduce waiting times.
EMERGENCY AMBULANCE SERVICE
The Emergency Ambulance Service has been in existence for over 20 years and has gone through various stages of development in keeping with changes in pre-hospital care.
With the realization that morbidity and mortality can be lessened with good pre-hospital intervention, the concept of ‘scoop and run’ has been replaced by timely assessment and stabilization before transport to specific departments of care.
The current fleet of 5 functional ambulances work around the clock to serve the population and services approximately 1200-1300 calls a month, a figure which has been continuously rising over the last few years. With additional ambulances and repairs to vehicles, it is envisaged that the EAS will be better able to manage the call volume in a more timely manner whether from the temporary Jemmott’s Lane Headquarters or the satellite station at Arch Hall Fire Station, St.Thomas.